Saturday, November 10, 2012

Some Popular Graphic Novels

Another sort of new, yet increasingly popular type of comic is the graphic novel, which is something I assume most of you have heard of before. Now, since I myself am not too familiar with graphic novels, the only one that I can really think of off the top of my head is Watchmen, I had to look at a website called Graphic Novel Reporter in order to find some popular ones to talk about.

So the basic idea of a graphic novel is that it has all of the panels and everything that a comic has, but instead of only being a couple of pages, it is a whole novel and story in one book. Usually, there is more of a storyline within a graphic novel, and many times movie versions of comics are turned into graphic novels later.

Just by looking at the homepage of this website, it is apparent that there are millions of types of graphic novels, which kind of intrigues me. The writers for this site talk about what's hot this fall, some of the top graphic novels today, where you can find comic book shops in your area if you have no idea where they are, and what events and conventions are happening in the comic book world. Just by looking at the slides that are at the top of the home page, I can tell that there are some really awesome graphic novels out there because the images that they use from the novel look really awesome - many of these things I would have never pictured as graphic novels, which is why I find them pretty awesome.

If you have no idea what intitels something to be considered a graphic novel or you are just looking for something new, I would definitely check out this website because the writers give you a pretty awesome in-depth analysis on their opinions of many graphic novels.

Here are some popular ones from over the past few years:


No comments:

Post a Comment